Senior Water Supply Engineer -Tigray
Ethiopia has made impressive progress in expanding access to water and sanitation from a very low base. In the 1990s, only 14% of the population had access to water and 3% to sanitation coverage. In 2017, this had increased to 65% and 32% respectively. In 20 years, 45 million people gained access to water. Ethiopia has made rapid progress in reducing open defecation (92% of the population in 1992 to 28% in 2015).
The SCRS WaSH program has 2 components; Component 1 (£80m): Financial Aid (FA) to the Government of Ethiopia’s (GoE’s) One WaSH National Programme (OWNP) through a pooled account but largely ring-fenced for the provision of climate-resilient WaSH services, but also supporting WaSH in schools and health facilities and building the capacity of OWNP institutions. The FA supports both construction of new facilities and the rehabilitation of non-functional schemes in the intervention areas. Similarly, the government is also financing CR-WaSH projects in different regions.
The role of the “Senior Water Supply Engineer” working under the OWNP is to support and facilitate the effective implementation of particularly the “Climate Resilient Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (CR-WaSH)” program in Ethiopia including facilitating and strengthening communications between the different tiers. As such, under the CR-WASH program, the role of the senior water supply engineer will be to support the Regional PMU in communicating with Woreda WASH Team and Town Water Utilities and providing them with the directions, information, systems and technical skills.
The senior water supply engineer will work within the Tigray regional water supply and sanitation program management unit (regional PMU) that is responsible for managing and coordinating the CWA and Government supported CR-WaSH projects at the regional level. The water supply and sanitation program management unit coordinator would affirm that work plans developed by the senior water supply engineer to discharge his/her assigned duties are logically compatible with his/her respective job descriptions and would monitor that the planned services are delivered by the expert in a manner and in line with the objective of the project/program.
On the basis of the roles described above, the specific areas of responsibility of the senior water supply engineer include, but are not limited to:
a. Technical aspects
· Contribute to the overall technical aspects of the CR-WASH project including planning, implementation, follow up and monitoring of the contract effectiveness,
· Support in study and design of CR-WaSH projects as well as review of civil works and hydraulic design reports,
· Support woredas and towns in the study and design of water supply projects,
· Proactively contribute to the preparation of specifications, BOQs, drawings and bid documents,
· Effectively support in construction supervision, contract administration of civil works construction and inspection of the construction of CR-WaSH facilities,
· Involve in technical reviews and appraisal of CR-WaSH projects, program guidelines, manuals and standards,
· Undertake regular field missions and follow up the program activities at all stages: pre-design stage, design stage, tendering phase, construction period, completion, inspection and handover phases and defect liability period,
· Assist in the production of contract management and supervision manuals for the use of regions, particularly for contract administrators and construction supervisors;
§ Assist the regional WaSH teams, town water boards and town water utilities in tender advertisement, analysis, evaluation, award, contract negotiations and contract signing as well as implementation;
§ Conduct quality assurance, when needed, of construction works, installation of electromechanical equipment, and materials.
§ Produce and submit monthly, annual and end of assignment reports to the PMU and ABH.
b. Program Planning and Management
· Promote learning between woredas and between towns by sharing information, progress reports and best practices;
· Foster integration under the sanitation projects by supporting efforts to integrate water supply, sanitation and hygiene interventions and coordinate planning across sectors;
· Update data on CR-WaSH physical and financial performance, including a number of user communities and beneficiaries’ vs planned activities considering the integration of sanitation performance.
· Timely track allocated, received, used and liquidated budgets on a timely manner.
c. Sector Support
· Work collaboratively with regional, zonal, woreda and town implementing agencies to ensure they have the necessary skills and training to perform their duties;
· Follow up and assist the Woredas/towns on overall program management starting from ToR and RFP preparation, negotiation and agreement up to end of contract implementation and final acceptance of the project including follow up of payment modality and review of payment certificates etc.;
· Produce or update the necessary technical training materials and manuals (e.g. cost-effective designs, operation and maintenance, etc.) and program management training materials and manuals (e.g. procurement process, contract management, etc.) for use by implementing agencies,
· Provide technical backup support and training to WWT/Town Water Boards/Utilities (urban) during the early phase of project support (up to the first phase of construction);
· Assist woredas and towns to identify their program and management gaps and provide/facilitate technical assistance they require.
Duration of the Assignment: The assignment will be for one year with the possibility of extension based on evaluation of performance. Under-or non-performance will result in immediate termination of the contract.
1. A support work plan to be updated quarterly — two weeks after deployment,
2. Monthly report every 1st week of the month,
3. Biannual consolidated reports,
4. End of contract report - upon conclusion of the assignment.
The agreed consultancy fee will be paid in monthly installments, upon presentation of satisfactory reports and good performance.
The TA will be housed in Tigray Region Water and Energy Resources Development Bureau and will work within the team of the Water Supply Study, Design and Construction Supervision Directorate and Regional PMU. The specialist will have full responsibility for the CWA and Government supported CR-WaSH project activities in the region and will be supervised by the Regional PMU.
The reporting requirements will be as per the deliverables plan indicated above and shall be submitted to the regional PMU and to ABH. ABH will forward each report to WASH section of UNICEF as per the above deliverables plan.
Expected background and Experience
· M.Sc. or above in water supply and sanitary engineering, hydraulic engineering, water resources engineering with minimum 8 years of experience or above, or
· B.Sc. with 10 years and above of progressively responsible professional work experience in water infrastructure and WASH management programs,
· Strong experience in study, design, construction, works supervision, contract administration, tender document preparation and evaluation, program planning and management as well as sector support,
· Experience with quality assurance and site monitoring for civil engineering projects, including review of change orders, an inspection of works, and reporting discrepancies,
· Professional fluency (writing and oral) in English,
· Strong communication skills and flexibility working with various stakeholders,
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook)
General Conditions: Procedures and Logistics
1. The consultant will be responsible for identifying and securing their own accommodation.
2. DSA will be provided by the regional Water and Energy Resources Development Bureau of Tigray for travel to the project sites (outside of duty station).
3. The consultant should have their own laptop with internet capability and Microsoft Office applications.
4. The regional water and energy resources development bureau will arrange transport services for project supervision field missions to the project sites.
5. Payments for consultancy works are submitted on a monthly basis with the approval of deliverables and monthly reports based on the rates stipulated in the contract.
Qualified and interested applicants who fulfill the above requirements can apply d by clicking Apply Now. under the headline