ABH Partners Plc is a leading consultancy and human resources sourcing firm in Ethiopia with about 15 years of experience in supporting the implementation of development programs and projects. ABH exists to fuel synergistic societal growth by harnessing local knowledge and international standard. Dedicated to the betterment of societal development, technical assistance, and knowledge management, ABH has gained credibility and industry experience in the development sector in general.
ABH partners would like to invite applicants who meet the below requirements to apply for the position of Logistics Officer- warehousing and distribution.
Title: Logistics Officer- warehousing and distribution
Number of Posts: Four (One at each cluster hub)
Duty Station: EPSS Bahir Dar hub, Diredawa Hub, Jimma Hub and Hawassa hub
Duration: 12 months
Reporting to: EPSS Bahir Dar, Dire Dawa, Jimma, and Hawassa Branch Manager, based on the placement and to the overall Project Coordinator at EPSS Head office. This is local position; it is open to Ethiopian Nationals only.
The Ethiopian Pharmaceuticals Supply Service/EPSS/, formerly known as ‘Ethiopian Pharmaceuticals Supply Agency/EPSA\’ is the only public health commodities procurement and distribution organization mandated to procuring and distributing regular and health program supplies to the society.
Central to addressing new-born and child mortality, outlined in the health sector transformation plan of the country/HSTP -II/, the public organization receives and distributes vaccines, donation, and other program commodities to the community in need on a timely manner. It manages receiving of vaccines and other commodities from port of destination, transports, stores and distributes to end users as per the standard procedure.
UNICEF and EPSS have been intensively cooperating in several areas of common interest. As part of this strategic partnership, UNICEF and EPSS have been working collaboratively in the areas of cold supply chain management and health supply chain system strengthening specifically in the warehouse operation improvement, emergency supply chain management and other related aspects.
Like wise to vaccines supply chain integration into EPSS’s supply chain years before, UNICEF Ethiopia Country Office along with EPSS, FMOH, and relevant partners decided to move forward with implementation of the integration of all UNICEF-managed child health commodities into the government supply chain system.
As part of this initiative and following a thorough discussion with EPSS and development partners, UNICEF Ethiopia decided to integrate all child health commodities(emergency and non-emergency)into EPSS’s supply chain.
In the proposed approach, UNICEF-procured commodities will instead be cleared by EPSS, stored centrally by EPSS, distributed down to EPSS hubs, and then distributed further downstream by EPSS, just as all other health commodities that flow through the Ethiopian Government supply chain system.
This will not only sustainability strengthen EPSS’s capacity, but also allow it to greatly increase its scale of delivery. To achieve this mission of integrating UNICEF-procured commodities into EPSS’s supply chain, building the supply chain operation capacity of EPSS is part of the recommendations of the assessment done by UNICEF hired firm so that the product integration happens as per the plan of 2021-2023 of the UNICEF SISTER programs. With this regard, hiring a senior health supply chain and project management consultant in warehousing and distribution with a focus on upcoming integration of the commodities UNICEF-managed child health commodities into EPSS’s supply chain system has been planned.
The technical consultant will take the lead in coordinating the capacity building and operation optimization activities in the areas of warehousing, distribution and related at the specific cluster hub is assigned to
The technical Consultant will engage in all the high-level system strengthening aspects of EPSS’s warehousing and distribution in such a way that the improved capacity is attained by EPSS in the assignment.
- The technical assistance will have the following key and associated benefits.
- EPSS gets more capacity in the areas of warehousing, distribution and related that synergizes the status of warehouse operations excellence at the cluster hub and other hubs under it
- EPSS’s supply chain management best accommodates emergency supply chain management with more contributions to storage, inventory management and distribution of emergency commodities as normal EPSS routine
- UNICEF-procured child health commodities are seamlessly integrated into EPSS’s supply chain system as part of the three years SISTER program.
- Efficient resource utilization due to integrated storage, inventory management and distribution of commodities to the end-user
- EPSS gets the benefit from the retained capacity in the technical assistance provided…etc
Key function, accountabilities, and related duties/tasks
Under the direct supervision of the respective EPSS cluster hub Branch Manager, and the overall coordinator at EPSS Head office, the technical consultant will lead the warehouse and distribution technical assistance support at the cluster hub. The senior technical expert consultant is expected, but it not limited to, of the following:
- Lead the development and/implementation of the EPSS warehousing and distribution optimization technical support at the cluster hub
- Maintain excellent working relationships with the EPSS team, UNICEF country office team and other stakeholders critical to the successful roll-out of the child health commodities integration
- Provide capacity building support through coaching, on-the-job mentoring, identifying specific skills gaps at the cluster hub
- Lays a ground for a good working relationship with EPSS hubs laying the ground for the upcoming child health commodities into EPSS’s supply chain.
- Applies sound supply chain and project management knowledge to contribute to the standardization of the warehousing distribution operation at the cluster hub
- Provide technical support to the EPSS supply chain management activities, including planning, defining indicators, and setting attainable targets; logistics system design, and logistics management information systems (LMIS)
- Ensure the improvement of the operation areas through adequate monitoring and evaluation (M&E) and appropriate targets and indicators
- Work closely with EPSA staff not only in warehousing and distribution but also other areas including supply and demand management, importation, data systems, and fund management.