ABH Partners Plc is a leading consultancy and human resources sourcing firm in Ethiopia with about 15 years of experience in supporting the implementation of development programs and projects. ABH exists to fuel synergistic societal growth by harnessing local knowledge and international standard. Dedicated to the betterment of societal development, technical assistance, and knowledge management, ABH has gained credibility and industry experience in the development sector in general.
ABH partners would like to invite applicants who meet the below requirements to apply for the position of Senior Logistics Associate-Customs clearance
Title: Senior Logistics Associate-Customs clearance
Duty Station; EPSS head office, Addis Ababa Ethiopia
Reporting to: Main Reporting -Contract management directorate of EPSS
Technical reporting – UNICEF PSS Logistics lead. This is a local position; it is open to Ethiopian Nationals only.
The Ethiopian Pharmaceuticals Supply Service/EPSS/, formerly known as ‘Ethiopian Pharmaceuticals Supply Agency/EPSA\’ is the only public health commodities procurement and distribution organization mandated to procure and distribute regular and health program supplies to the society.
The organization has improved in its operation, from time to time, and has currently planned to be a competitive supply chain organization in Africa in the next ten years. In line with its improvement in its operations, the public organization has succeeded in receiving ISO certification at headquarters and two more hubs.
Central to addressing newborn and child mortality, outlined in the health sector transformation plan of the country/HSTP -II/, the public organization receives and distributes vaccines to the community in need on a timely manner, with a priority and focus to effective vaccine management. It manages to receive of vaccines and other commodities from the port of destination(Ethiopian Airline's customs), transports, stores and distributes to end users as per the standard procedure.
As a strategic partner, UNICEF is supporting EPSS both technically and financially in the areas of cold chain management, warehouse improvement, emergency supply chain management, and other related areas. UNICEF and EPSS have been intensively cooperating in the vaccine supply chain management. As part of this area of cooperation, the UN agency currently carried out strategic consultation with EPSS management on whether there is still a more specific need for UNICEF to engage in curbing the challenges EPSS faces with respect to vaccine supply chain management and further contribute to the capacity building in the area.
In this regard, UNICEF will be supported in strengthening the existing capacity through the technical assistance of a consultant with excellent experience in the area. To this end, hiring a logistics associate who best supports the clearance process is needed to assist EPSS in clearing the MCH commodities including vaccines, and timely delivery to EPSS warehouses as soon as they arrive at the Ethiopia Airport Cargo Centre. The support will benefit EPSS, children, mothers, and the community in ensuring commodities/vaccines availability, safety and quality, resource-saving, and related aspects.
The technical assistance primarily contributes to timely customs clearance at the Ethiopian Custom Authorities coordinating with all parties involved in the customs clearance process. To achieve timely clearance, delivery to the warehouse/cold room and thereafter distribution to the regions. The function will enhance the capacity of the EPSS team in the clearance process and transfer knowledge to the level of EPSS managing custom clearance efficiently and on its own. The technical support is supposed to further contribute to the optimization of the clearance process to the standard operating procedure.
The technical assistance will support the clearance of Vaccines and MCH commodities. S/he will assess the status of supplies at receipt including the Vaccine Arrival Report and ensure the supplies are transported to EPSS warehouses for proper storage and distribution.
- As a strategic partner, UNICEF is proposing to support EPSS in the seamless customs clearance of all vaccines there by the following and related benefits are obtained:
- Vaccine storage is compliant to the storage guideline and the vaccines maintain the highest safety and potency
- Vaccines/MCH supplies are on-shelf availability is always maintained at the highest level
- Demurrage cost incurred by EPSS due to delayed clearance is avoided
- EPSS gets benefits from the retained capacity in the technical assistance provided
Key function, accountabilities, and related duties/tasks
- Under the direct supervision of EPSS contract management director and UNICEF PSS Logistics Lead, the technical assistant will be responsible for the proper and timely clearance of the vaccines/MCH commodities. The technical assistant is expected, but is not limited to, support the following:
- Represents EPSS in the vaccine clearance process Proactively communicates and timely receive all the relevant documents/pre-shipment and shipment documents/ from UNICEF country office officers or officially delegated officer and makes preparation for customs clearance; informs the UNICEF team/delegate if any adjustment is needed
- Makes sure that all applicable customs duties have been paid and the shipment has been approved.
- Creates good communication with the customs office for relevant clearance-related activities
- Communicates with the cold chain and other warehouse management personnel at EPSS for preparation of the equivalent space ahead
- Detailed work plan for capacity building and support 15 days after reporting
- Weekly shipment clearance monitoring report. Monthly
Monthly performance Report Monthly
- Annual report on work plan implementation and the impact on the Supply chain. At the end of the contract